Joint Inflammation is less with therapeutic baths
In November, 2017, I developed a pain in my left knee. The knee cap and the inside became slightly swollen and painful. I soon found myself limping. It was severe enough I purchased a cane to help get around. Until early January in 2018, I experimented with a number of home remedies including hydrogen peroxide, and also magnets, with limited success. While experimenting, I continued my searching. Dr David Brownstein listed the following causes of arthritis on his website-
- Bacteria and viruses
- Sugar Consumption
- Milk and dairy
- Acidic foods (meat, eggs and dairy)
- Dehydration – lack of water
- Drugs used to treat Arthritis and joint inflammation.
This list does not represent all of the causes of joint pain. An injury from an accident or damage to cartilage between the bones or a lack of hyaluronic acid or silica that absorbs water may also contribute to joint pain. Joint pain can have more than one cause at the same time.
Gin, Raisins and Juniper Berries
The first remedy I tried was to eat raisins soaked in Gin. The formula was discovered in an Internet search. To make it, I added one pint of Gin to a quart jar that was filled half full with yellow or golden raisins. Over a period of days, the raisins absorbed the Gin. Reports claim that relief from Arthritis occurs in 75% of the users over a 3 month period.
The mechanism of how it might work is unknown, but may involve the medicinal effects of juniper berries used to flavor the Gin. The remedy that I used suggested eating about 10 of these Gin soaked raisins each day. “Today’s Herbal Health” by Louise Tenny M.H. suggested the use of Juniper berries for removing uric acid crystals, for infections, and for increasing natural insulin in the blood by improving pancreatic function. Cherry juice has also been used to reduce uric acid crystals.
Uric acid crystals are formed by the consumption of excessive amounts of meat, eggs and fish. They usually affect the toes but can also can affect the knees. An xray of my knee on Jan 9, 2018 was not conclusive except it showed no cartilage damage but hinted at impaired circulation and possible calcium spurs.
A search of home remedies at earthclinic.com listed several other remedies. The most popular one was the oral use of apple cider vinegar. Others listed included cold pressed flaxseed oil – one tablespoon per day and eating one raw avocado each day. Diluted cider vinegar was also proposed for topical use on arthritis and sore joints.
Since I don’t like the strong taste of apple cider vinegar, I decided to add the cider vinegar to my bath water and let some of it be absorbed into my skin and joints for a systemic effect. The results, so far, have been very satisfactory. At least 90% of the pain and impaired mobility has been resolved in a satisfactory way over the past 6 weeks. The specifics of what I did and continue to do are the following:
- I filled my bathtub with water to 2 inches below the overflow.
- Using a candy thermometer, I adjusted the hot and cold water to get a temperature of between 103 to 105 degrees F.
- I added 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to the bathtub water (I purchased a gallon of it at the local grocery store for less than $4.00)
- Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) – 1 cup was added to the bath water. Epsom salt was obtained at a local drug store.
- 1/4 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team) was also added to the bath water as a source of boron, a trace mineral that supports strong bones and ligaments. (Source – purchased from a local grocery store – marketed as a detergent booster)
I set a hand timer for 20 minutes and got into the tub and let the hot water with the apple cider vinegar, Epsom salts and Borax do its magic. Since the tub is too short to immerse my whole body, I allowed my legs to be completely covered and used a cup to pour some of the bath water over my chest and abdomen area.
- At the end of 20 minutes I lathered with a bar soap and then finished with a short shower while the tub drained.
- Once every 2 weeks, I also see a physical therapist who has provided very helpful stretching and exercise suggestions.
The bath water treatment is done daily immediately after rising in the morning.
The Immediate and long-term benefits of this 20 minute soak.
- The tightness in the knees is immediately less and the soreness is reduced and sometimes disappears completely within the 20 duration of the soak.
- Today, the pain the left knee is about 90% reduced over what it was 6 weeks ago, indicating the body is healing itself. I am able to do considerable walking now without a cane.
- I continue to take one tablespoon of cold pressed flax seed oil daily and also eat half or one whole raw avocado each day. Both remedies are highly recommended (at earthclinic.com) for their anti-inflammatory effects in treating joint inflammation.
- The physical therapist has been surprised at the degree and speed of my recovery. I was born in August of 1943 which makes my 74 y.o. As you get older, recovery from any injury takes longer than when you are young.
- Weight loss – I have lost about one pound each week during the past 6 weeks. Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV) has been long used to help burn body fat. Cravings for sweets has also reduced substantially.
- Improved circulation in the feet. – I noticed the appearance of my feet has improved. The skin of my heels are no longer looking dull but instead are slightly pink and the sensations of burning or tingling are gone.
- My latest labs showed normal cholesterol, low LDL and a HDL to total cholesterol ratio of 4.0 or less.
- Although not the original purpose of the ACV/mineral baths, my hair color has shifted from white/gray to a slightly darker color on my head and in other areas. Vinegar is known to dissolve mineral deposits. It is possible that ACV may gradually help reverse atherosclerosis by reducing calcium deposits in the artery walls.
Several types of therapeutic baths are discussed at earthclinic.com. To comment on this article, use the reply box form below. Allow up to 24 hours for approval and posting on this site. We delay posting to keep the spammers out.
Support us with your prayers and a donation or help us raise money by participating in our affiliate program with the W.T Raleigh Co. Also do yourself a favor and obtain a printed copy of the Immune Restoration Handbook. or the downloaded pdf version. Your purchase will help you with an priceless source of self-help health information, and it helps funds our efforts to reach more people. Miraculous water, prayer books and ebooks are also available.